Friday, February 22, 2013

We have a Plan!

The last 2 weeks have been quite hectic. Lots going on with so little time. So here is an update on what has been going on. In my last post I informed everyone that I am getting a double mastectomy. I went last week on Wednesday and got my drain out, YEAHHHHHH!  I was feeling pretty good almost a day after it was out so I was very happy about that. At that appointment I found out that I am getting what they call a Simple Mastectomy. I am still not doing any internet researching so I really thought that they were going to just cut off everything. I am not going to go into too much detail (Google it if you want to know) but that is not the case for me. Finding this out made me feel a ton better! I also went to see a plastic surgeon because I am going to have reconstructive surgery at the same time as I get the mastectomy. He explained that they put spacers in to stretch out the skin and fill them weekly until the desired size. Bryan has referred to them as his own personal punching bags:-) When I am done with chemo they will then have another surgery to switch out the spacers and place in the implants.  Wonderful, another surgery! Oh well I will at least have a nice rack when I am finished. Because my surgeon and my plastic surgeon had to find a time where they are both available and the OR is available I am not scheduled for everything until March 12th. That means that I will have to wait for 4-6 weeks after that surgery to start chemo. My goal of being done before summer is now pushed back. That is OK, because I am looking forward to a few weeks of normalcy for my family. The kids have been pretty hard to deal with recently. I think that they are sensing the stress of everything going on.

On another note I spent the day at the ER with Jamyson this week. He decided that he was going to eat Bryan Paul's medication instead of his breakfast. I called poison control and they told me to call 911. I was worried that may be overkill so I called the kids pediatrician and she said to call 911 as well. I asked if I could just bring him to the ER and she said no, call 911 now because he could go into respiratory distress. So I made my first ambulance ride with a screaming child who did not want to be strapped down. I had the other 2 kids so I made a frantic call to Bryan telling him to get home, NOW. I also ran to my neighbors house and asked her if she would mind staying with the kids until Bry got home. My Mother In Law came over and took the kids so Bry could go back to work. Long story short, Jamyson is fine, he was super mellow at the hospital and snuggled in the bed with me all day because they wanted to observe him for 6 hours. Anyone who knows Jamyson knows he is NEVER mellow. Those meds calmed him right down. My Mother in law told me not to get any ideas;-)

I got my port installed this morning. I am not very happy about where they positioned it because I am not going to be able to wear lower cut shirts. I thought that it was going to be closer to my bra line but it is more toward the center. It is also kind of freaky feeling. I keep trying to get Bry to feel it but he is way to freaked out. He is fine with me getting all of these surgery's but freaks out because of the port. It was kind of nice to be in and out of the hospital in 4 hours and everything went as planned.

 Because of the fact that I am feeling good for the next couple of weeks we have stopped the meals. I really enjoy cooking and it is an out for my stress. Samantha will be contacting everyone when we start it back up. I have been informed that after the mastectomy I am not going to be able to do anything for almost 2 weeks. I am sure I will be needing tons of help then. Thank you so much for everyone support. The meals, care packages, cards, thoughts and prayers mean so much to me and my family! We would not be able to do this without you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment