Friday, January 11, 2013

Telling the Kids

This has been another week of doctors appointments. Wednesday I had an ultrasound and biopsy of a lymph node. Thursday I had an MRI to see if the cancer has spread. Today I had my pre-op physical. We are still waiting for the results of the biopsy and MRI. It does not seem fair to make people wait over holidays and weekends when you are dealing with these types of tests. As of right now my surgery for the lumpectomy is going to be on this Thursday the 17th and I will be meeting with my oncologist on Friday the 18th. Today we told the kids. I have been dreading this since we found out the news. We had started to have some behavior problems and we were thinking it was from so much change and emotions that we have been dealing with. We were very straightforward with them telling them that there was something in Mommy's body that should not be there and the doctors are working very hard to get it out. We explained that Mommy is going to be going to alot of doctor appointments and that I am going to be very tired. They said that they would be very good helpers to make it easier. Bryan Paul told Mady during dinner that Mommy is going to die. I am not sure how he came up with that and I was pretty upset that he thought that. Mady said she was going to fix me with her doctors kit she got for Christmas. I am thinking we are going to have lots of questions in the next couple of days. Today was also another m ilestone. I bought my first hats. I was waiting to do this until after I saw the oncologist. Mentally I was not ready for this step. Sam convinced me that I should get them because they look good, were on sale, and I can use them even if I don't lose my hair. Buying these hats and trying them on actually made me feel better. I can totally rock these hats:-)

2 comments:

  1. The hats were super cute and you totally rocked them:-) sorry you had to tell the kids.....such a hard thing to do! Good thing kids adjust quickly. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your journey with us! Telling the kids must have been difficult but I bet they will amaze you and keep you smiling. We're thinking of you all the time!

    ReplyDelete