Monday, January 28, 2013

Tests, Tests, and More Tests!

So last week I had appointments Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Wednesday was an appointment with my surgeon to see how everything was healing and to take out the drain if ready. She took it out even though it was not ready. I was so super happy at that point. BIG MISTAKE!!!!! Thursday and Friday I was in so much pain because of the build up of fluid. Oh well, lesson learned!

On to Thursday. I had a MUGA scan. This is to make sure that my heart is strong enough to do the chemo treatments. They had a horrible time getting an IV in and had to stick me 7 times, having 4 different people try to get it to work, so fun! They injected me with radioactive materials and took a ton of pictures. After that test I could not be around young kids and prego's for 12 hours. WONDERFUL! That would have been nice to know before hand! So my parents took the kids for the night and got them all to school the next day. THEY ARE AMAZING!!!!

On to Friday now. Pain, pain, and more pain! The fluid build up was so bad that the hydrocodone was not even helping. I sent a message to Laura asking if this was normal and she said NO! I had a PET scan and genetics testing scheduled for this day. I tried to call my surgeons office but they do not open till 10, must be nice!!! So I went to my tests and told them how much pain I was in and they had a nurse come and look at me right away. She called my surgeon and they told me to come in after all of my tests were done. So I had a PET scan where they injected me with more radioactive  stuff and then had me drink a HUGE container of barium after. It was a fasting for 12 hours before so that barium tasted like a melted milk shake to my very hungry stomach at 11 am:-) They took pictures after that for about 30 minutes. This test is to see if the cancer has spread to any other parts of my body.

Than on to genetic testing. This test is to see if I have the gene that will cause recurrences in not only breast cancer but ovarian cancer as well.  This is also an important test because if I test positive to this gene anyone that is blood related to me may also carry this gene, including men.  Pretty much if this test comes back positive they will recommend a double mastectomy and down the line getting my ovaries and fallopian tubes taken out. It takes 10-14 days to get these results back.

 Then off to my surgeons office to have them check out this fluid buildup. At this point there was no infection and they ultra sounded it and drained it. GROSS! They did put me on antibiotics and got me more pain killers.

They are putting my surgery that I was suppose to have on Thursday to get my port installed and to remove the other tissue off until they get the results of these tests. They are also putting off my start of chemo because I have to be recovered from my surgeries before they start. Once again, the waiting game!

So now for today. I was scheduled for my Chemo Class. This class is to give me information as to what treatments I am getting, and what to expect while having them. This was a day I was DREADING! Chemo is my worst fear right now! I heard everything I knew I was going to hear but did not want to hear it. I went through the whole class without crying so I am giving myself a huge pat on the back for that. While there I had the nurse and my oncologist look at the fluid that had built up over the weekend. It was pretty bad! I def have an infection and lots more fluid build up. It is crazy painful and I am worried about lymphodimia. My surgeon is getting back to me and hopefully will see me tomorrow to figure this all out. 

At the end of the day, my MUGA scan came out that I have a super healthy heart!!!! I have to end on a positive note:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment